Saturday, October 7, 2017

2017-10-07 (Yakety Yak - The Coasters)


Yakety Yak - The Coasters (1961)

I had a full album (tape) of the Coasters, which I wore out. I love the energy, the innocence, the tightness in their performance. These guys were from a long line of black vocal acts that perfected their harmonies and played their voices like horn sections. I still have a soft spot for anything influenced by those recordings.

Throughout my musical listening journey, I have had several 'episodes', where I latch onto a music genre or sub-genre and dig in obsessively. This has happened with Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Jam Bands, Jazz, Bluegrass, Old-Time, Nashville and Texas songwriters and many more. The first thing I remember doing this with is "Oldies" - 50's and 60's Rock'n'Roll. Somewhere between my obsession with Michael Jackson and The Smiths, my parents browsed through their high school yearbooks and told me a bunch of old stories and explained the social structure and events of the day ('59-'62).

I wrote about this back on May 4, 2011 found here.

Here are a couple other of my favorites that are referenced in the post above.
Hanky Panky - Tommy James & the Shondells (1966) - This was a 45 they had that really stood out to me.
Runaway - Del Shannon At the time, I remember saying this was my favorite. I would listen to it over and over.
Not to mention, the Coasters had plenty -- Their big hits







No comments:

Post a Comment