Thursday, October 26, 2017

2017-10-26 (Seneca - Tortoise)



Tortoise fills a gap for me. It is home base music, in the same way as Lambchop or Widespread Panic. I've never had to consider what other people think about them, critical acclaim, technical merits.... They are a band that hits the spot. What spot? Well, the best way for me to describe it - when life (or just my day) feels chaotic, when I feel overwhelmed by the million things and can't focus on what's in front of me, this music understands. They tend to ease into their compositions, building slowly then falling into an already full speed song. They use odd timings and uncommon instrumentation. That's where the "understanding" is -- it sort of matches the chaos. Then, they thread calm and wise melodies throughout. Six Pack is another great example from this album. 

One of my biggest musical regrets is missing them at the Orange Peel back during tax season (March 21st). They all have other projects, so the band doesn't tour a lot. They are definitely high on my bucket list.  

No comments:

Post a Comment