Thursday, October 5, 2017

2017-10-05 (Panic - The Smiths)




The summer before 9th grade (1987), I was hanging out with Andy Cecil one day at the Country Club. Evidently, I was trying to act like some kind of punk to be cool around some older guys (Matt Lynch and another guy I don't remember his name). I was primed for it. There was so much angst and anxiety running through me in those days, but I so wanted to stay cool. So, this other guy asked me what music I listened to. I don't remember what I said, but he didn't approve. It was too mainstream.

"Why don't you listen to music with meaningful lyrics... somebody who's got something to say?"
"Like who?"
"The Smiths sing about hanging the DJ. You should listen to the Smiths Louder Than Bombs."

I went on to buy the cassette twice (cheap tape broke) and the cd twice (stolen). This was a primer that led me into some of the most important music of my life (REM, Cure, Depeche Mode...). Obviously, there were no brotherly influences here. Don thought I had gone fag. I wore this album out. Listening to it now, it doesn't speak to me as the most revolutionary song. And, even though I still love this album, it is not close to my favorite song on there. But, you can imagine a boy at 14....

Panic - The Smiths


I love almost every song on there, but here are a few that demonstrate their range pretty well.
Ask
Oscillate Wildly
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
This Night Has Opened My Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment