Monday, October 30, 2017

2017-10-30 (Mountain Jam - The Allman Brothers Band)






"It's funny, but I've never, ever thought of us as a jam band. When we started out almost 20 years ago, the old, four-piece Panic literally scared the hippies away, and at this point, jam bands can kiss my ass. Most of 'em can't write a fuckin' song. I don't want to hear someone noodle aimlessly. If I want to hear a jam, I want to hear a master of their instrument playing theme and variation on a great melody. Why can you listen to 35 minutes of 'Mountain Jam?' Because it's a great melody. Why can Jerry Garcia interpret 'My Funny Valentine' for 20 minutes? Because it's a great melody. Without a great song, there is no great melody. Without a great melody, there is no jam." -- Dave Schools (bass player for Widespread Panic)

I was happy to find this quote online, although I heard him talking about this years ago on Sirrius-XM radio show that Stef Scamardo (Warren Haynes wife) had on the JamOn station. 




There Is a Mountain - Donovan (1968)

All of my favorite jams are just what Schools is talking about - variations on a great melody. I believe that's one of the things that gave the Grateful Dead so much jam material and makes them the ultimate "jam band". Jerry and Bob Hunter wrote great songs first, before they expanded them with jams. Plus, their choice of covers brought in tons more great melodies via Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, The Beatles... Often, at jam band shows cover songs and band classics are most popular for the crowd. It is much easier to recognize and relate to a great jam when the melody of the song is familiar and clear in your mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment