Monday, October 16, 2017

2017-10-16 (Add It Up - Violent Femmes)


Add It Up - Violent Femmes (1983) or 1988 for me

This is the music I listened to the first time I got high... not the first time I smoked pot, but the first time I actually got high. It was in Cliff Stewart's shed. I can still smell the smell of relighting the joint. We didn't yet know how to lick your finger and tap the side to stop a run. This wasn't because we wanted to be cool. If most of our friends knew, they would disown us. But, we were ready to check it out. I mean, listen to this music. Being a freshman in high school was not totally awful but it was the most dissatisfying episode of my life. I almost picked this song (Prove My Love). It really captures the feeling of that time. The whole album is right there in that pocket.

Anyway, I knew every little sound on this tape (album). Many times I have sung them all, especially the vocals and bass lines. To me, this is punk rock, acoustic guitar and xylophone.

A few years later, another first time I got high. Not the first time I had done LSD, but the first time I got high... I was at Buckeye Lake waiting on the Grateful Dead to play and they were playing every song from this album over the PA. I said something to Alex about it and he said, in his meek and matter-of-fact voice, "oh yea, shall we scoot up close where we can see them?" It was actually them. They were the opening band. How did I not realize this, yet. It wasn't on the ticket. I had wanted to see them for awhile... but not like this.

Good Feeling  -- This one became my favorite on here. It could be a candidate for this song list for different reasons. It is one I've listened to over and over on repeat. It feels so right to sing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment