Tuesday, October 24, 2017

2017-10-23 (I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard and Linda Thompson)



I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard and Linda Thompson (1974)


This is just one of those songs that seems perfect - the arrangement, the groove, the simplicity of the lyric and the emotion in her voice. I know almost nothing about these guys. They were part of an early 70's British folk movement, made some critically acclaimed albums together and split sometime in the 80's. 

I had a coworker at the record store who was a huge fan. Because of him, I listened to a fair amount, especially of Richard's stuff, but it never took. But, every time I hear this song (usually on WNCW), it gets my attention. For some reason, my first thought is always that it is Blondie. I'm not sure why. 


No comments:

Post a Comment