Sunday, October 8, 2017

2017-10-08 (Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight - The Oak Ridge Boys)


Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight - The Oak Ridge Boys (1979)

Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight - Emmylou Harris (1978)

We had a late 70's model, red Jeep Wagoneer growing up. Mom drug us all over the place in this thing. I remember riding in the 'way back'. We took it on a trip to Colorado to see Aunt Teresa one year. Daddy borrowed a big luggage carrier for the top. We took Granny Granny, so there were 6 of us in there all of the way to Denver and back - reminiscent of the Griswolds (but Granny lived, although she did get concussed in Cripple Creek).

Anyway, the Jeep had an 8 track player and we only had a limited number of 8 track cassettes. Well, you guessed it. This was one of them (The Oak Ridge Boys Have Arrived). I also remember an Emmylou album, although it wasn't the one with this song (Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town). This was the country music I grew up on. Oak Ridge Boys, Barbara Mandrell, Kenny Rogers, along with the classics like Loretta and George Jones.

This song was written by Rodney Crowell, who is a great songwriter and collaborated with Emmylou after Gram Parsons died. I remember this song being a sing-a-long in the car and I loved the story. It's just an ordinary story about the way the things go - round and around nobody knows, but the highway goes on forever.

(The jeep pictured is slightly different than the one we had. Ours didn't have a white top. Oddly, I couldn't find one that looked just right. I wonder if my memory has altered things. I do remember it was not a woody, though. Davy Dave had a Jeep Cherokee that was a woody and was cooler than ours - I was a little jealous. I'm pretty sure they bought it because the wanted to one up us.)






No comments:

Post a Comment