Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Evolution: my walkman keeps falling out of my pocket




When I was between the ages of 11 and 18, I was the manager of grounds maintenance at 263 McCullough. In other words, I mowed the yard all summer. Funny thing is, I don't remember a riding mower... Anyway, my parents have way too much yard. We lived in the country at the top of a hill with a long driveway, a big front yard and like 3 back yards.

It was just the right size so that if I mowed every chance I got in the early spring, by the time I was finishing up the back yard(s), the front yard had grown back, so I never had to worry about where to store the mower.

From ages 13 - 15 or so, I remember having a cassette walkman and I burned through an outrageous amount of batteries with that thing. I have a distinct memory of the tapes that spent most of their time in there and I know every word, musical phrase and breathe from those recordings. There's something about listening on headphones (regardless of the hum and vibration of the mower).

U2 - Joshua Tree
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers - Conscious Party
INXS - Kick
John Mellencamp - Lonesome Jubilee
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
Terrence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline According to TTD
Beastie Boys - License to Ill



..... many of which I had bought bootleg versions at Court Days. The tapes were white and the writing wore off.

No comments:

Post a Comment